Saturday, February 13, 2016

recommend

Did I lose another follower? Oh, who cares. It has become too much of a chore to keep track of the people who abandon me, leaving me to live a life as the town eccentric, complete with long fur coats and wacky hats. Might I also have a collection of dolls' heads? Yes, yes I might. My home will be a rundown Victorian at the top of the hill, the yard overgrown with weeds, the grass a fire hazard. But I will keep a nice pot of daffodils on the porch and a garden full of cabbage in the back. It's cabbage soup every night for this eccentric followed by a scorching hot bath in the clawfoot tub where I light mismatched candled and commune with spirits.

Hello! Happy Saturday! It is 10:01, which is only 9 minutes away from Fake Time. Fake Time = 10:10. If you've ever bought a damn digital clock in your damn life, you'll know what I mean by Fake Time. But isn't all time fake? Now don't you fret -- I shall not go into a lengthy musing on how time is a social construct and blah blah blah. I don't even know if time is a social construct because I'm not entirely sure what "social construct" means. Okay, I know what it means. I'm a genius. And an idiot. Idiots can be geniuses and vice versa. We live in a contradictory world.

Currently: Chewing on some ice, but I put on socks and made some tea. The tea is hibiscus something or other and it is very tart. I have become indulgent and reckless with my tea and have begun using two tea bags instead of one. Am I made of money or something?!

Currently: Reading Ian McEwan's Atonement. Gorgeous, cinematic writing. All I can imagine is Kiera Knightley in that green dress from the movie, though, and I really want to see myself instead. Do you ever imagine yourself as the main character in the novel? I try hard to do this, but I usually can't. Except for maybe in Franny and Zooey. Side note (everything seems to be a side note with me): I read Chopin's The Awakening yesterday and loved it. I read it back in high school, which was approximately 14,000 years ago, but it felt like I was reading it for the first time. Would recommend! Can I recommend some books for you right now? Okay, thanks.

Books I Want to Recommend to You:
Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Thunderstruck & Other Stories by Elizabeth McCracken
Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker
Angels in America by Tony Kushner

That's sufficient. Now, if you are so lucky, you can grab a tray of ice cubes, a cup of two-tea-bag tea, some social constructs, and a good book. You are gorgeous! You are cinematic! You are an idiot genius! Bless you.

No comments: