Sunday, January 17, 2010

science vs. romance

I read what I dreaded tonight and was, surprisingly, not as affected as I thought I would be.

I had to leave the room, though. I thought I would break down. I went into the bathroom, locked the door, turned on the fan, and sat (fully clothed) in the bathtub. I forced a few tears.

Then I stopped and sat, lethargic, looking at the hair in the drain.

I have, as they say, become quite comfortably numb.

This is good in the short term. It allows me to have a night sans puffy eyes. In the long term, however, this could be bad news. I don't know, though. Maybe it's not this way. Maybe I am just naturally getting over things. And what am I getting over exactly? The answer could either be a relief or a heartbreak. I don't know the answer yet.

And right now I am going to live my life being okay with not knowing the answers, not knowing the outcomes. August wasn't the beginning of my unanswered questions. Rather, it brought my questions to the forefront of my mind. But these kinds of questions take time to marinade. The future is undecided and that's just the way it has always been.

And if she looks like you, then she looks like you. It's science.

(The numbness is my friend at this point and solitude seems more and more inviting. Do I let these feelings continue or do I try and put a stop to them? Again, I'm okay with not knowing at this point. But I do know the answer to at least one question. Do I deserve to be happy? Yes, I do. So I will be.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm trying to come up with a "reading Hamlet and Mamet will do that" joke that seems appropriate, and can't. And I have nothing to say in its place.

meg said...

Hamlet and Mamet. I like the sounds of that.

Chris Almond said...

Maybe your body just fell asleep. YOu know how our limbs can 'fall asleep' what if your entire body fell asleep? imagine the pain it would cause when your entire body was in that pins and needls stage that is kind of painful but kind of pleasurable just before the limb wakes up.
hi meg.
judge meg
oremigger

Unknown said...

you do deserve to be happy. you do.