Monday, August 23, 2010

this book is vegan and also really good


This recommendation may be getting old to a lot of you, but I don't care.

READ David James Duncan's The Brothers K.

Okay, so I don't want to build it up too much. I don't want to claim that it's my most favorite book of all effing time, because it's not. But it is still pretty damn amazing. Duncan is a writer's writer. He's like some crazy love child of David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon, and J.D. Salinger. He is basically a literate hipster's wet dream.

The book is big. Almost 700 pages. And now you are thinking to yourself (or saying out loud if you are into saying things out loud), "Geez, BuddhaOremMeg, where will I find the time and/or attention span to read such a thick novel?" And I will say back to you (either in my head or out loud or through carrier pigeon), "Hey, man, listen: it ain't War and Peace. This moves quickly. It is actually fairly addictive. You will read this book the same way you would shoot heroin into your tired veins. The characters are superb!" And you will thank me.

Happy reading, loves!

No comments: